Thursday, June 30, 2011

Evy's brown hat

Evy, the new daughter of my close friend Shannon and owner of the cupcake hat from a previous post, is also the new owner of this little brown number. It's an open-weave summer hat, with a lacy trim and a detachable teal flower. Shannon told me exactly what she was looking for (for newborn portraits) and I searched through loads of free patterns online trying to make one small enough but breezy enough for the summer. I really should give up the pattern hunt because none are exactly what I want and I usually end up making up my own anyway. But then I run the risk of reinventing the wheel . . .

This little hat is so tiny; when I was working on it I kept thinking, "This will be way too small for her, even if she is brand new." Well, apparently you do lose some of the memories as your own kids grow up because when I tried it on her, it was just a little too big still!


As requested, I made the flower detachable on a pin back so her mom could switch out the flower depending on what she was wearing at the time. Love love love it! And in honor of its tiny owner, when I write up the pattern it will be called Evy's Summer Hat! Look for it in my etsy shop, coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Just an idea... When I make flowers detachable, I attatch them to a button. The button can then be slipped right in/out of the crochet stitches of the hat or bag, or whatever the project is. :)
    This hat is super cute, BTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an idea... When I make flowers detachable, I attatch them to a button. The button can then be slipped right in/out of the crochet stitches of the hat or bag, or whatever the project is. :)
    This hat is super cute, BTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete