Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Week 3 - Dollar Store tutorial

I was really happy with how this project turned out, and it was really easy to do, too! Here's a step-by-step description of what I did:
1. First, I used the nail polish to add some small dots and lines to the glass candle holders. I chose nail polish for 2 reasons; first - because I could find it at the Dollar Store and didn't have to make a separate trip for paint, and second - because if I made a mistake on the glass, a quick swipe with polish remover takes it all off.



I used it on all the glass pieces in some way or another but you could just leave them plain if you like it better.
2. I put the glue (E-6000) around the edges of the candle holder and glued it to the bottom of the smallest plate. Tip: Glue every piece upside down so that there's not a balance problem while it's drying. It's hard enough to get the glue to set without the plate falling off the top repeatedly. Firmly press the holder onto the plate until a tiny bead of glue squeezes out around the rim. This makes sure that there are no air bubbles along the rim. Repeat this step with the middle plate and candle holder (at the end of this step, you should have three items: the smallest plate and holder, the middle plate and holder, and the bottom plate by itself.)3. Once the holders were attached to the two upper plates - and DRY - I put glue around the bottom rim of the middle holder. Because E-6000 bonds better when both pieces to be attached have glue on them, I used the holder to "stamp" a ring of glue onto the center of the bottom plate. This also helped mark where the center was so it wouldn't be cocky-waller.Reapply glue to the bottom of the middle holder and press onto the glue ring "stamp". Press hard to squeeze out any air bubbles.4. When step 3 is completely DRY, repeat step 3 with the smaller top plate and holder. Allow to dry completely - usually at least 24 hours.


5. Glue the bases onto the smaller dip bowls in the same way -- upside down, apply glue to rim of glass, press hard to squeeze out air bubbles, let dry.


That's it! Now it's time to try them out. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is a great idea. I liked it more coz the stuff used was bought from my favorite store ;) Yes, I love Dollar Store and if I can make something as good as what you have made without spending much money, why not! Do keep sharing such wonderful ideas.

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete